SABANCI FOUNDATION SHORT FILM COMPETITION REGULATIONS
You can reach the .pdf version of the regulations from this link.
1. ABOUTSince the day it was established, the Sabancı Foundation has been carrying out its activities with the understanding that social development is possible through unleashing the potential of individuals. With this understanding, the Foundation supports many projects and tries to spread inspiring stories in society to raise awareness about social issues. The Sabancı Foundation supports a great number of culture & art activities in order to encourage and motivate individuals, to feature their creativity, and to appreciate their achievements.
Based on the idea to support addressing social issues through art, the Sabancı Foundation decided to organize the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition. The Competition aims to create an awareness of social issues by making use of the creative perspective of cinema and its power of influence and to trigger change for social development.
Start of applications:
Monday, July 12, 2021
Friday, November 19, 2021
Announcement of finalists:
Monday, December 20, 2021
Deadline for submission of required documents for finalists:
Monday, January 3, 2022
For 2021, the theme of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition is “New Professions in the New World”.
4. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- The director (“Owner of the Work”) and/or the producer of a work submitted to the Competition must be a citizen of the Republic of Turkey or the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
- The Competition is not open to legal entities.
- The competition is open to works that have not been screened anywhere else before or awarded a prize. Owners of the Work may not have any feature-length films shot until now.
- One may apply for the Competition with more than one film. In this case, one needs to fill out separate application forms for each application.
- Applicants have to complete their applications by filling in all the fields on the online application form until the deadline: 17:30 (İstanbul, GMT+3) on Friday, November 19, 2021, at the latest.
- An Owner of the Work agrees that any criminal and civil liability regarding the copyrights of their film lies with them. The responsibility for any copyright issue stemming from the use of non-original texts, images, music, etc. in a short film to be sent to the Competition lies with the Owner of the Work. The Sabancı Foundation may not be held legally responsible, therefore. If an Owner of the Work violates the copyrights of third parties via the work, they shall be obliged to compensate the Sabancı Foundation for any direct and indirect damages incurred by the Sabancı Foundation.
- Any liabilities related to obtaining the explicit consent of the actors featuring in the work and non-actors whose personally identifiable information features in the work, including images, voices, etc., as per the Law No. 6698 on Protection of Personal Data and other related regulations, lie with the producer and the director (Owner of the Work). The Owner of the Work shall immediately share with the Sabancı Foundation the records indicating that the explicit consents of related persons, expressed with free will and based on information, have been obtained under this clause if the Sabancı Foundation requires the Owner of the Work to do so.
- The Sabancı Foundation reserves the right to abandon organizing the Competition or to cancel the Competition or refuse to continue the Competition in the future without showing any reason at any stage before the announcement of the competition result. In the case that the Competition is not organized or is canceled, no work sent or submitted to the Sabancı Foundation by the Owners may be used by the Foundation.
- The Competition is not open to the Sabancı Foundation staff.
- No application may be made on behalf of the deceased. However, if the person passes away after they submit their application, their application shall be included in the evaluation.
- Applicants should avoid sharing their films and visual materials related to their films (teasers, posters, photos, etc.) on any social media platform where anyone can see such materials.
- Applications that do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements shall not be evaluated.
- Applying for the Competition is free of charge.
- Applicants may not have another work with a title identical to the title of the work submitted for the Competition.
5. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
- The Competition is open to films with a duration of 5 minutes or less including the credits.
- Provided that they match the theme, films in the genres of fiction, documentary, experimental, animation, etc. may be eligible for the Competition.
- Applications must be submitted through an online application only. Physical submissions delivered by courier, post, etc. shall not be evaluated.
- There are two options to submit a film: Films can be uploaded to YouTube (.MP(E)G/ .AVI / .VOB / .MOV / .MP4 / .M4V,etc.) as an unlisted video, and the corresponding URL should be provided during the application to be submitted on www.kisafilmuzunetki.org, or to Vimeo (.MP(E)G/ .AVI / .VOB / .MOV / .MP4 / .M4V,etc.) and password protected links must be generated for submission with the application. After the films are uploaded to Vimeo, the applicant shall open the “Privacy” tab and set a password. The set password and URL must be provided along with the application on www.kisafilmuzunetki.org
- The resolution of the films uploaded must not be less than 1920x1080.
- Films must be uploaded with Turkish and English subtitles.
- Turkish subtitles should be white, and English subtitles should be yellow (the required code for the yellow color is #F9d658).
- For Subtitles to be embedded in a video, the font and font size to be used are Arial and 48, respectively, on a 75% transparent background. There should be a maximum of 40 characters per line, excluding spaces, and the subtitles should consist of a maximum of two lines, one line for Turkish and one line for English.
- Applications that do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements shall not be evaluated.
Art Director: The Art Director is the person who creates the format of, directs, and establishes the artistic criteria of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition. The Art Director makes nominations for the Preliminary Jury, the Jury, and the Advisory Board.
Advisory Board: Established by the Sabancı Foundation, the Advisory Board consists of 5 people who are nationally or internationally renowned and are experts in cinema or the “theme” of the Competition. With ideas and suggestions, the Advisory Board contributes to the events that will take place during the Competition.
Preliminary Jury: The Preliminary Jury consists of 3 people, including the Art Director, who are experts in cinema or the “theme” of the Competition and it is established by the Sabancı Foundation. It evaluates all submissions and decides on the finalists. It shortlists 10 to 15 works to be evaluated by the Jury in the final.
Jury: The members of the Jury to judge the finalists are elected by the Sabancı Foundation. The Jury consists of five people who are nationally or internationally renowned and are experts in cinema or the “theme” of the Competition. The Sabancı Foundation managers or staff may not be a member of the Jury. The Jury evaluates the finalist works and determines the works to be awarded the first, second, and third prizes. The Sabancı Foundation may award special prizes in addition to these prizes upon recommendation of the Jury.
7. FINALIST WORKS
The finalists will be announced on www.kisafilmuzunetki.org on December 20, 2021.
The finalists must deliver the materials specified below to ZeynoFilm, Sadi Konuralp Caddesi, IKSV Binası No: 2 Beyoğlu - İstanbul no later than 17:30 (İstanbul, GMT+3) on January 3, 2022. Especially for works to be sent from outside Istanbul, the owners should remember that December 31, 2021, and January 1, 2022, are public holidays.
- Screening copies of the film to be delivered on a USB flash drive must be in Full HD quality, with Turkish and English subtitles(Turkish subtitles in white and English subtitles in yellow), and in .mov or .mp4 format. (USB flash drives will not be returned.) The technical details about subtitles are specified in the Technical Requirements.
- A screening copy of the film without subtitles must also be submitted on a USB flash drive. It must be in full HD quality and .mov or .mp4 format.
- A 30-second teaser of the work must be submitted on the same USB drive.
- If there are dialogues, the dialogue lists (with timecodes) should be presented in Word or in SRT format, on the USB drive containing the copies of the film.
- An A3-size poster in portrait orientation should be prepared and delivered on the same USB drive.
- A photograph of the director with a minimum resolution of 500x500 must be submitted on the same USB drive for publishing in the catalog.
- Signed printout of the online application form.
- Printouts of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition Regulations - each page signed by the director and the producer to show that the Owners of the Work accept the articles of the regulations.
- The undersigned guarantees that pieces of information in the above-mentioned documents are correct. Any legal liabilities arising from the information indicated lie with the undersigned. If any incorrect and/or incomplete information provided by a person is detected, even if the person has received an award, the award shall be canceled and recollected.
- The director and/or the producer of a finalist work shall give consent that the Sabancı Foundation may use the film on any media for an indefinite period, including but not limited to posting on the Internet or social media, screening during domestic/international events, provided such use is not for any commercial purposes and the Owners of the Work are given the credit for it.
- The director and/or producer of a finalist work is obliged to notify the Sabancı Foundation about the festivals for which their film has applied and results thereof after the conclusion of the competition. If a finalist work, publicly broadcast on the official channels of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Platform, is accepted to a festival, the finalist may request that their film be made inaccessible for viewing within the specified period in case such viewing does not comply with the festival's specifications.
- The Owners of the Works agree and guarantee that they will allow via a non-exclusive license the Sabancı Foundation to exercise their rights of reproduction, distribution, representation, and communication to the public by equipment that transmit signals, audio and/or images on the condition that the work wins an award, no commercial purpose is sought, and the Owners of the Work are given the credit for it.
- Owners of the finalist works allow the Sabancı Foundation to provide audio descriptions of their films.
- In the case that the Owners of the Works who qualify to win an award avoid completing the procedures regarding the non-exclusive license, the Owners of the Works accept that they renounce the awards they qualify to win. In such a case, the award in question shall be canceled and not be given to anyone else
- The directors of finalist works are obliged to attend a special camp and events to be organized by the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Platform for finalists on January 9 to 12, 2022.
- After the competition results are announced, no finalist work may be converted by the director(s) to any format, for screening or other purposes, other than the short-film format (no longer than 70 minutes) with the same or a different name.
- Owners of the finalist works are obliged to keep confidential that they made it to the finals after they are informed of the same until it is announced by the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Platform on social media and other channels.
- The owners of the finalist works may not share any visuals related to their films, other than the images published in the official channels of the Competition before the Competition is concluded.
- Three projects chosen by the Jury among the works submitted to the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition shall be awarded the first prize, the second prize, and the third prize.
- The candidates for an award may not be disclosed to the public by the Jury or the Sabancı Foundation before the award ceremony.
- The winners shall be announced during the Award Ceremony of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition that is to be organized by the Sabancı Foundation.
- The announced results shall be final and may not be objected.
- The directors of the chosen projects shall be awarded as follows: First Prize: TRY 25,000 (Twenty Five Thousand Turkish Liras) Second Prize: TRY 20,000 (Twenty Thousand Turkish Liras) Third Prize: TRY 15,000 (Fifteen Thousand Turkish Liras)
- Checks in the amount of the prize will be handed over to the directors of the selected works in the award ceremony to be held by the Sabancı Foundation.
- The awards shall be presented to the director(s). If the director of an award-winning film is not a citizen of the Republic of Turkey, the prize will be awarded to the producer of the work who is a Turkish citizen. If an award-winning film has more than one director, the amount of the award shall be evenly divided between all the directors. In the case of multiple-director films, if only one of the directors is a Turkish citizen, the award shall be fully presented to that director.
- If the director of an award-winning film is not present at the award ceremony, the award shall be presented to a representative chosen and notified in advance by the director to the Sabancı Foundation in writing.
- The Sabancı Foundation may award special prizes in addition to these prizes upon recommendation of the Jury.
- If a person passes away after they have qualified to win an award, then their award shall be given to their legal inheritors.
- The owners of the works that win an award or have been shortlisted as a finalist shall be obliged to include a statement in the opening and closing credits of the film, any press releases published newspaper ads, and any other promotional media related to the film that it has won the First Prize/Second Prize/Third Prize/Jury’s Special Award together with the logo of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Platform.
- The owners of the works that win an award must deliver their recording & registration certificates issued by the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism to the address ZeynoFilm, Sadi Konuralp Caddesi, IKSV Binası No: 2 Beyoğlu - İstanbul in no later than fifteen days following the announcement of the awards. The Sabancı Foundation reserves the right to revoke the award of a winner who fails to submit their recording & registration certificate in due time.
9. MARKET SELECTION
- The organization team of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition has launched the “Market Selection” as of 2021. The selection contains a group of 8 to 12 nominated films that do not qualify for the finals due to various reasons but are considered good enough given the artistic criteria. The Market Selection is sent to various prestigious film festivals and short film markets in Turkey and across the world by Sabancı Foundation Short Film Competition.
- The same selection committee and the art director that select the finalist works determine those films to be selected for the Market.
- All the films that are eligible to be included in this selection are announced sometime after the finalists are announced.
- The owners of the works selected for the market reserve the right not to be included in this selection.
- No "award" is given to any film included in this selection.
- The directors of the films in this selection gain the right to directly participate in certain events of the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Platform.
- The films in the Market Selection and their directors are included in a separate catalog.
- The films in the Market Selection must meet the material list requirements set out in Article 7.