You can reach the .pdf version of the regulations from this link.
1. ABOUT THE COMPETITIONSince the day it was established, Sabanci Foundation has been carrying out its activities with the understanding that social development is possible through unleashing the potential of individuals. With this understanding, the Foundation supports many projects and tries to spread inspiring stories in society to raise awareness about social issues. Sabanci Foundation supports a great number of culture-art activities in order to encourage and motivate individuals, to ensure their creativity is at the forefront, and to appreciate their achievements.
Based on the idea to support addressing of social issues through art, Sabanci Foundation has decided to organize the Sabanci Foundation Short Film Competition. The aim of the Competition is to create an awareness on social issues by making use of the creative perspective of cinema and its power of influence, and to trigger change for social development.
Start of applications
19 June 2018
End of applications
16 November 2018
Announcement of finalists
25 December 2018
Submission of required documents for finalists
3 January 2019
For 2018, the theme of the Sabanci Foundation Short Film Competition is “Discrimination”.
4. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- At least the director (owner of the work) and/or the producer of the work submitted to the Competition must be a citizen of the Republic of Turkey or the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
- No legal person can apply to the Competition.
- The films to enter the competition should not have been screened anywhere else before and awarded a prize.
- The owners of the works should not have any feature-length films shot until now.
- One person can apply to the Competition with more than one film. In this case, one needs to fill out separate application forms for each application.
- The applicants have to complete their applications by filling in all the fields in the online application form until 17:30 on November 16, 2018 the latest.
- The owner of the work accepts that any criminal and civil liability regarding the copyrights of the film lies with him. The responsibility for any copyright issue stemming from the use of non-original texts, images, music, etc. in the short film to be sent to the Competition lies with the owner of the work. Sabanci Foundation cannot be held legally responsible. If the owner of the work violates the copyrights of third parties via the work, he is obliged to compensate Sabanci Foundation for any direct and indirect damages.
- Any liabilities related to obtaining the explicit consent of those who have all kinds of information that reveal or may reveal their identities in the work through images, voices, etc. as per Law on The Protection of Personal Data, No. 6698 and other related regulations lie with the producer and the director (owner of the work). In accordance with this article, upon the request of Sabanci Foundation, the owner of the work will immediately share with the Foundation the records indicating that the explicit consents of related persons, which were based on informing and freely given, were obtained.
- In any stage before the announcement of the competition result, Sabanci Foundation has the right to not organize the Competition or to cancel the Competition or to not continue to organize the Competition in the future without showing any reason. In the case that the Competition is not organized or is canceled, no work sent or delivered to Sabanci Foundation by the owners of the works can be used by the Foundation.
- Sabanci Foundation staff cannot enter the Competition.
- No application can be made on behalf of the deceased. However, if the person passes away after the application is made, his application is assessed.
- Applications that do not comply with the abovementioned requirements will not be evaluated.
- Applying to the Competition is free of charge.
5. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Films with a duration of no more than 5 minutes including the credits can apply to the Competition.
- Provided that they match the theme, films in the genres of fiction, documentary, experimental, animation, etc. can apply to the Competition.
- Applications must be sent only through the online application form. Deliveries made physically in ways such as by cargo and by post will not be evaluated.
- Films should be uploaded to Vimeo (.mp(e)g/ .avi / .vob / .mov / .mp4 / .m4v, etc.) as password protected links. After the films are uploaded to Vimeo, the applicant should open the “Privacy” tab and set a password. The set password and URL must be shared during the application on www.kisafilmuzunetki.org
- The resolution of the films uploaded should not be less than 1920x1080.
- Films must be uploaded with Turkish and English subtitles.
- Turkish subtitles must be in white while English subtitles must be in yellow.
- Subtitles must be Arial font, 38 points. There should be max. 40 characters per line and subtitles should have max. two lines.
- Applications that do not comply with the above mentioned requirements will not be evaluated.
The Art Director: The Art Director is the person who creates the format of the Sabanci Foundation Short Movie Competition, who directs it and sets its artistic criteria. He suggests names for the Preliminary Jury, the Jury, and the Advisory Board.
The Advisory Board: Chosen by Sabanci Foundation, the Advisory Board is made up of 5 people who are nationally or internationally renowned and are experts in cinema or the “theme” of the Competition. With ideas and suggestions, the Advisory Board contributes to the events that will take place within the Competition.
The Preliminary Jury: The Preliminary Jury, which includes the Art Director, consists of 3 people who are experts in cinema or the “theme” of the Competition and it is selected by Sabanci Foundation. It evaluates all works that submitted to the Competition and choses the finalists. It choses at least 10 and at most 15 works to be evaluated by the Jury in the final.
The Jury: The members of the Jury who will evaluate the finalists are selected by Sabanci Foundation. The Jury is comprised of 5 people who are experts in the fields of cinema and art. Sabanci Foundation managers or staff cannot be a member of the Jury. The Jury evaluates the finalist works and determines the works to be awarded first prize, second prize, and third prize. Upon the proposal of the Jury, Sabanci Foundation can grant special awards as well.
7. FINALIST PROJECTS
- The finalists will be announced on www.kisafilmuzunetki.org on December 25, 2017.
- The finalists must deliver the documents below to ZeynoFilm Baskurt Sok. Urgup Palas Apt. 19/3 34433 Beyoglu-Istanbul until 17:30 on January 3, 2018 the latest.
- Registration documents of the film provided by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the Republic of Turkey
- Screening copies of the film to be delivered on a USB flash drive must be in Full HD quality, with Turkish and English subtitles (Turkish subtitles in white and English subtitles in yellow), and in .mov or .mp4 format. (USB flash drives will not be returned.)
- A screening copy of the film without subtitles must also be submitted with a USB flash drive. It must be in full HD quality and in .mov or .mp4 format.
- Signed printout of the online application form
- Signed printouts of each page of the Sabanci Foundation Short Film Competition signed by the director and the producer to show that the owners of the works accept the articles of the regulations
- The undersigned guarantee that pieces of information in the above mentioned documents are correct. Any legal liabilities arising from the information indicated lie with the undersigned. In the event that any wrong and/or incomplete information be detected, the award is canceled and recollected even if the person has received the award.
- The director and/or the producer of finalist works allow the film to be shown on the Internet, social media, in domestic/international events, and in all mediums for an unlimited duration, without any commercial purposes, and by indicating the names of the owners of the work.
- The owners of the works accept and guarantee that they will make Sabanci Foundation use their rights of reproduction, distribution, representation, and communication to the public by devices that transmit mark, sound and/or image through a non-exclusive license on the condition that the work wins an award, no commercial purpose is sought, and the names of the owners of the works are indicated.
- In the case that the owners of the works who qualify to win an award avoid implementing the procedures regarding the non-exclusive license, the owners of the works accept that they renounce the awards they qualified to win. In this case, the award in question can be canceled and it is not given to someone else.
- The directors of finalist works are obliged to attend a special camp and events to be organized by the Sabancı Foundation Short Film Platform for finalists on January 14 to 16, 2019.
- A total of three projects chosen among the works that entered the Sabanci Foundation Short Film Competition by the Jury will be awarded first prize, second prize, and third prize.
- The candidates for an award are not disclosed to the public by the Jury or Sabanci Foundation before the award ceremony.
- The winners of the awards are announced at the Sabanci Foundation Short Film Competition Award Ceremony that is to be organized by Sabanci Foundation.
- The announced results are final and cannot be objected.
- The directors of the chosen projects will be awarded:
- First Prize: 15.000 TL
- Second Prize: 10.000 TL
- Third Prize: 5.000
- The prizes will be awarded as checks in the amount of the prize made out to the directors of the selected works in the award ceremony to be held by Sabanci Foundation.
- The award is presented to the director of the film. If there are more than one directors of a movie, the amount of the award is divided into the number of directors equally and paid.
- If the director is not present at the award ceremony, the award is presented to a representative chosen by the director and notified to Sabanci Foundation in writing by the director in advance.
- Upon the proposal of the Jury, Sabanci Foundation can grant special awards as well.
- The award won by the person who passed away after he qualified to win the award is given to his legal inheritors.
- The owners of the works that win an award will be obliged to publish a sentence stating that it won First Prize/Second Prize/Third Prize/Jury’s Special Award together with the logo of the Sabanci Foundation Short Film Platform in the opening and closing credits of the film, in the press releases they publish, in newspaper ads and in all promotional mediums related to the film.